Monday, November 9, 2009

My first experience with Ubuntu Karmic kola



I felt very excited after I read the review comments about Ubuntu 9.1, the Karmic Kola distribution of Ubuntu... However, with over-enthusiasm, I could not wait for the official release... I downloaded the release candidate a few days before the official release of Ubuntu 9.1...

As I have used only Windows so far, I was a bit worried about my transition to Ubuntu... However, so far it was smooth...

After downloading the release candidate of the Ubuntu 9.1, i had to burn the CD... I used ImgBurn to do that... What one needs is a blank 700 MB writable CD... The burning process did not take much time...

Then with caution, I inserted the CD for the installation... The installation got started... And it hardly took 20 minutes to completely install it...

I restarted my computer... There were two options to boot up - one for my old Windows XP and the other was Ubuntu... I chose the second one... The login screen came in no time... I entered my password... And voila... The system came up within a flash... I thought I needed to do a lot of configuration for my internet connection... To test it I just clicked the Firefox menu on the top of the desktop... And no wonder, the Ubuntu Google came up in a flash...

I was delighted...

With a little help through Googling, I found that for a developer, the build-essential package is a must... After that, I did some research and found the Synaptic Package Manager Under System... I opened it... Searched for build-essential... Marked it... And installed it...

Then I installed Git... And Eclipse... And yesterday I installed QTCreator IDE... And the development environment is ready...

I started gaining interest in Linux because I wanted to compile the Android source code... so far my experience with Ubuntu is very good... its update manager is working for me...The synaptic package manager is fantastic...

I can say that for me it's been a smooth transition to Ubuntu...And the best part is that neither I had to install SpyBot... nor do I have to scan with SpyWare Doctor every time I start my PC... of course, I don't have to care about Malwarebytes to fight against Virtumunde...

In 2022, in Bharat, the share of Linux desktop was 8.05% and in 2024 it is 15%.
See below...
Linux desktop share in Bharat in 2022



Linux desktop share in Bharat in 2024



Once the Government of Bharat adopts it everywhere, the ecosystem will be built around Linux.

I am happy to see that Bharat has indigenously developed #maya OS, a Linux-based OS  (DRDO project - 2021) and the Government of Bharat is eagerly supporting the deployment of this OS across defense and government offices. Once the schools and colleges adopt #Linux and the government offers a green signal for public use of Linux, there won't be any looking back. 

#JaiHind...

No comments: